Position Listing – Director of Gateway Arts
ABOUT GATEWAY ARTS
Gateway Arts is a service of Vinfen, New England’s most comprehensive provider of community-based health and human services for individuals with disabilities.
Mission: Gateway Arts, located in Brookline, Massachusetts, is an internationally acclaimed studio art center dedicated to providing individualized arts-based services to adults with disabilities and supporting meaningful lives and careers in art. For nearly fifty years it has nurtured the creative talents of artists with diverse diagnoses, strengths, and needs. Gateway Arts provides the intersection of art and disability, ensuring a supportive environment that promotes and celebrates individual ability. It is an established leader in the field of arts-based services and career development and is continuously evolving and adapting while remaining steadfast in its commitment to the growth and evolution of programming.
Rae Edelson, outgoing director of 44 years, says it best:
Gateway is a place where you can develop skills, receive recognition, and do the work that you love. What we care about most is that each artist has told the story of their life through art, and that they feel a part of the society and the community in which they live. They feel part of the art world. And when you ask, ‘What do you do for a living?’ they say, ‘I’m an artist.’
Our Community: Gateway Arts was founded in 1973, then serving eight artists with developmental disabilities in a small basement studio. Today, around 90 artists work in Gateway Arts’ spacious studios, including individuals with developmental disabilities, psychiatric disabilities, spectrum disorders, head injuries, and visual and hearing impairments. Each artist brings a distinctive narrative or perspective to share with the world. They engage in the development of their own career by creating their own goals. Family members of Gateway artists are integral members of our community as is the Gateway Advisory Committee, a 20-member volunteer group that serves as ambassadors for the organization and helps in fundraising efforts. In addition, Gateway has formed partnerships with museums, universities, and program funders.
Our Programs: With the mentorship of a staff of eight professional artists, Gateway Arts provides the opportunity to develop skills in a wide range of mediums, including drawing, painting, collage, cartooning, sculpture, ceramics, fiber art, weaving, mixed media, jewelry making, and new media platforms including animation and digital drawing. Artists work with professional quality art materials and state of the art equipment in two studios, either the “Main Studio” which serves adults with developmental disabilities or “Studio A” which serves and provides long-term professional support for artistically talented adults with psychiatric and other disabilities.
Our Facilities: Gateway Arts is situated in an accessible building in the bustling retail neighborhood of Brookline Village. The second-floor houses spacious individualized studios and offices. At street level is the acclaimed Gateway Arts Store and Gallery selling original works of art, jewelry, ceramics, clothing, and household goods all created by Gateway artists. The gallery features year-round rotating exhibitions of Gateway art. Artists receive a 50% commission on all sales of their work and the remaining proceeds fund services and materials to support their continued artistic and professional growth.
For over 40 years, Vinfen has been dedicated to transforming lives. It is a leading provider of community-based services to people with autism, behavioral health challenges, brain injuries, intellectual and developmental disabilities, and mental health conditions.
Our dedicated staff use the latest in science-based interventions to support the people we serve in achieving their goals and leading more independent, productive, and valued lives as members of their community. We strive to be an employer of choice, to attract outstanding team members who share a commitment to our mission and values.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are seeking a vision-driven individual with perseverance and enthusiasm who will bring fresh energy, creativity, strategic thinking, and strong leadership to Gateway Arts. The director will lead an experienced team of artistic and clinical program directors, studio facilitators, as well as development, marketing, and financial personnel. The new director will be leading Gateway Arts out of the COVID era, continuing to secure financial stability and subsequently growing to meet the needs of the future.
- Provide senior leadership for the planning, development, and implementation of arts-based program services, exhibitions, retail store, and sales.
- Hire, direct, and manage program directors, financial, marketing, and studio staff.
- Ensure high quality, day services and clinical rehabilitation support services.
- Oversee development associated with short term and long-term funding of Gateway Arts.
- Forge relationships with and creatively find sources of funding, including the Department of Developmental Services, Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission, Department of Mental Health, private funding, and other sources.
- Work with Gateway Advisory Committee to generate significant fundraising income.
- Bring together staff and stakeholders to create a common vision and strategy for growth.
- Manage through team building, problem solving, and open communication.
- Advocate and fundraise in both private and public sectors.
- Sensitivity to the challenges of differently abled individuals and a commitment to promote their success, professional growth, and positive self-esteem.
- Seek opportunities to engage in public discourse.
- Maintain and develop relationships with the local community and beyond, as well as with colleagues outside the organization.
- Increase Gateway’s visibility nationally and internationally.
- Creative and innovative
- Good listener and communicator
- Compassionate, committed, and supportive
Education: Advanced Degree preferred in Human Services, Psychology, and/or Arts Administration, a minimum of ten years of experience in a managerial role. Experience may be substituted for academic training.
The salary range is $85K +, commensurate with experience, including benefits. Gateway Arts staff are working on site and must follow Vinfen COVID protocols. Gateway Arts/Vinfen seeks a diverse pool of candidates and is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity.
Email Cover Letter and Resume to: Gatewayarts@vinfen.org
No phone calls.
62 Harvard Street
Brookline, MA 02445